If you are one of those people who is looking forward to jumping aboard on ?skepticism?s favorite candidate? in the field of herbal medication of late then you are surely here for a treat. CBD or cannabidiol has been in the news for all the right & the wrong reasons in the past few years & its journey can be included in a wave graph course at schools. After facing a lot of hardships due to constant opposition (likely that happened more), things have finally turned soft & better for what is now referred to as herbal science?s ?wonder child? by experts. (Agreed – a better option than being ?skepticism`s favorite? for CBD itself on a personal level).
When people opt for a line of treatment, they often go through various questions & suggestions based on the problem. The various questions range between:
- What is the background of it?
- How long will it take to show effects?
- Will it have any side-effects or not?
- How much does it cost?
- Is it a preferred choice?
Out of the various questions listed above, one of the most important questions that we see standing before our minds with a very prominent question mark is the time within which it will show its effect. Here, we will try to explore with our searchlight on this very important question – ?How long does it take for CBD to begin working?
How Does CBD Work?
In order to know our answers, It is first important to know how does CBD work? Since we know that CBD is a cannabinoid, we should be knowing cannabinoid a little more closely. There are three different types of CANNABINOIDS – phytocannabinoids (synthesized & found within plants), endocannabinoids (synthesized & found within the body of mammals) & synthetic cannabinoids (prepared at will in the laboratory – yes, they exist).
Our body & of course the body of every mammal has its own system of endocannabinoids production just like a senior corporate has his own personal assistant (Thanks for the applause on the reference). This system is called the ECS or the Endocannabinoid System & is for maintaining homeostasis within the body as well as immune system response, pain, inflammation, memory, etc. The system has its own neurotransmitters which work together in relaying the transmission signals within the body to the brain received through receptors. There are two main receptors – CB1 receptors & CB2 receptors. They are found abundantly on nerve cells of the brain & spinal cord as well as the organs like spleen, in glands like endocrine glands & in our WBCs. These receptors bind with the neurotransmitters of the ECS & are influenced by THC & CBD respectively. The influence causes the binding & hence the effect of the medication is produced. To clarify doubts, previously it was believed that CBD & THC do the binding thing with endocannabinoids (eCBs) but later on it was revealed that they influence the binding mechanism.
You might be asking why do we need CBD & TCS in our system to enhance binding if we already have that by default within us. The answer is simple- our body doesn?t produce enough cannabinoids & hence we require them from outside who can act as the personal assistant of the ECS & ensure better working (now you understand the reference better?).
Thus to ensure working, CBD has to either reach the bloodstream or at the pain-perceiving nerves, muscles, inflammatory cells, etc from where it can do its trick.
Types Of CBD Products
CBD doesn?t a ?universal? dosage thing which will work the same on different individuals. There are various CBD products available depending upon the purpose, dosage, condition & other important factors. The products can be classified as under:
- CBD OIL – If you?ve heard about CBD then it is probably CBD oil that you?ve heard about. It is taken as drops directly or mixed with tea, coffee, juice, etc & often comes with MCT or olive oil as its solvent & hence is available as CBD oil. It is also available as cooking oils apart from the usual drops.
- CBD Tincture – This is a similar form of CBD oil but being a tincture, alcohol is its solvent. This is also taken in the form of drops either directly or by mixing in some solvent.
- CBD Capsules Quite indicative with the name, CBD oil or gel is put into capsules & then it?s taken orally. While some end up disseminating in the digestive tract, recently, water soluble CN+BD capsules are finding presence in the market too.
- CBD Sprays/Spritzers Here, CBD droplets are used as sprays via oral, sublingual or topical dosage. Sprays & Spritzers have minimum CBD content.
- CBD Edibles Medical science has come a long way from bad-in-taste medicines to tasty ones. CBD edibles come in the form of gums, cookies, brownies, etc with infused CBD extracts. These have emerged as favourites too.
- Isolates, Wax & Vapes These can be inhaled as smoke. Vape cartridges are the most popular of these three & are available as e-cigarette pens too. Owing to the popularity, refills are available which can be put into the cartridges & puffed along.
- Oils, Lotions, Soaps, Shampoos Primarily a topical form of CBD intake, such oils, lotions, soaps, balms, shampoos, salves, etc are applied on specific areas of the body for relief & excitation.
How Long Does It Take To Find Form?
If observed closely, you?ll understand the link of this article. We firstly drew an outline with the territory where CBD operates. We then introduced you the taskforce which gets the job done. However, whose job is done how is yet to be divulged. So without much adieu, we?ll come to the final question. The actual answer to this question lies in the way of taking or ingesting CBD. Yes, it is actually the mode of taking CBD which decides the course of things as in some methods the impact would be felt within 10 minutes while in some cases it would take up to 2-8 hours. The action time of CBD along with the modes of taking have been enlisted as follows:
Hence, walking through the various CBD products is necessary for not just clear conception but also future reference & recommendations. The various forms of CBD are as follows:
- ORAL INGESTION – capsules, oil, edibles, tinctures CBD is taken directly through the mouth after which it lands into the digestive system. It goes through all the formalities of digestion & once digested, enters the bloodstream. The long route makes CBD come into effect in at least an hour or two & is the slowest one.
- SUBLINGUAL OR BUCCAL – spray, spritzers, tinctures & oilThis is the method is the quickest one in terms of effectivity as the dosage is taken under the tongue or on the cheeks where blood capillaries are rich. Thus, CBD enters the bloodstream quickly & effects can be seen within 5 to 10 minutes. However, the sooner it enters, the sooner it wears off.
- INHALATION – vapes & waxThis method is as effective as sublingual as CBD is absorbed directly into the bloodstream from the lungs. Based on the technique of inhalation, the amount of CBD entering the bloodstream can be increased greatly by the user.
- TOPICALS – balms, salves, lotions, creams, patchesThis method doesn?t involve CBD interacting with the bloodstream (unless the product is transdermal, i.e. can penetrate through the dermal layers). It is more for the localized influence which implies that it wins with its anti-inflammatory properties & its coming into effect varies on the region of application & the penetration through the dermal layers.
- VAGINAL & ANAL – sprays & suppositoriesThe mucosal areas are rich in blood capillaries which again make entry of CBD into the bloodstream quick & moving. For vaginal application, the effect is seen within minutes while in case of anal application, it might take effect between 2 to 8 hours.
Choosing Based On the Need
With all this covered, it is important to know that CBD?s effectivity also varies from person to person. This is because of not just the difference in age, weight, height, etc but also due to the difference in the body?s metabolism, its ability to respond to CBD, etc. We all differ from each other based on our body?s configuration & here is where things differ considerably. For example, when under stress, stomach enzymes don?t digest effectively. This will vary things compared to a person who is not stressed. Even things differ largely if a person is on medications as many medicines slow down the metabolism of CBD in the body. Apart from this, the metabolic rate of the body varies from person to person & this in turn plays a contributing role to CBD?s entry into the body & its absorption.
The quality of CBD product as well as the choice of CBD product makes an impact in effectivity as well. For this, it is necessary to consult the physician & then proceed so that the dosage & usage can be figured out accordingly. Taking CBD at low dosage & then increasing the dose gradually based on the effectivity is one method which can be resorted to by an individual. But the bottomline is,? there?s not an exact universal answer to this question & things would vary from case to case.?